The Stats system in Medieval Engineers has four stats. Three of these are shown as bars.
- The hit points of the character. When hit points are high the character is in good health and when hit points are low the character is in bad health. When health is low enough a bloody overlay will appear on the screen. Health is regenerative.
- The momentary amount of energy the character has to perform various tasks like working, sprinting, and fighting. When the character has low stamina it is not able to perform these tasks. Stamina is regenerative.
- The food reserves of the character. This might better be described as reverse hunger. When the food bar is high the character is full and does not require food. When the food bar is low the character is hungry and suffers negative vigor effects. The food bar can go beyond the maximum value for convenience. Food is degenerative.
The fourth stat is called Vigor. It does not have a bar but instead modifies the other stats' maximum values (the length of the bars), regeneration rates, and the speed of tools and weapons.
- Maximum Value
- The current maximum value for stats with vigor modifier. This is necessary due to stats that can extend beyond maximum.
The Stats system is moddable, allowing modders to add new stats, new stat bars, new effects, and to modify existing ones.
Other effects, like Vigor changes, display only as an indicator of the effect's presence. Vigor is recalculated only occasionally. When something creates a positive or negative change in vigor an effect icon is added. When Vigor is recalculated, all the positive and negative effects are totaled. Positive and negative points cancel out leaving a single positive or negative amount. This amount is applied to the new vigor total up to the maximum change amount. This is because Vigor not only updates occasionally, but it also changes slowly. The canceled out and used points are removed from the effects and only any unused portion remains. Eventually, all vigor change points will get used and all of the vigor effect icons will be removed.
The effects currently used in the game are
- Well Fed
- Indicates that you are not hungry.
- Indicates that you should eat soon.
- Indicates that you have gone too long without eating and your character is starving. Negatively affects health, stamina, vigor, and action speed until you eat.
- Indicates that your character is on fire. Negatively affects health while you remain on fire.
- Indicates that you have exhausted your stamina and it will take you a few seconds to recover. Negatively affects stamina regeneration.
- Juice Fruit
- Indicates you are receiving an ongoing boost to stamina due to the stimulant effect of the juice.
- Bread Spiced
- Indicates that you are receiving an ongoing boost to tool speed due to your need to work faster because of the burn of the spices.
- Bread Sweetened
- Indicates that you are receiving an ongoing boost to hammering due to your homemaking joy from the delicious sweet treat.
- Indicates that you are receiving an ongoing boost to health due to the antioxidant properties of the tea.
- Indicates that you are receiving an ongoing boost to health due to the bandage slowing your bleeding and keeping the wounds clean.