|OFFICIAL CONTENT NOTICE|
OFFICIAL CONTENTThis article contains official content from or verified by the developers at Keen Software House. This information is intended to be accurate at the time it is posted. If you find errors in this article please describe the errors in the Discussion Page.
For a better and more optimized gameplay experience, you must first make sure that your GPU drivers are properly installed on your system and updated. For further info about how to install and update your drivers, please read the links below:
For NVIDIA graphics cards
For AMD graphics cards
Other Useful Links
When you are unable to launch the game and the error message that you get suggests it is a video / graphics / DirectX problem. Please first make sure that your graphic card is within the minimum system requirements.
- If you meet the minimum specs in ALL area’s then please ensure that Graphics card drivers are up to date from NVIDIA or AMD as well as Windows updates are fully installed for your operating system.
- Reinstall/update your DirectX to the latest version.
GPU SUPPORTS DirectX 11 BUT THE GAME IS NOT RUNNING
When your GPU supports DirectX 11, but the game crashes/refuses to launch. Assuming your graphics drivers are up to date, this is usually caused by having two GPU's in one PC. One of the GPU's, usually the integrated graphics, is likely below minimum requires.
Solution: Open %appdata%\MedievalEngineers\MedievalEngineers.cfg in a text editor (notepad) and change the value for the VideoAdapter (from 0 to 1). Save and start the game. If you mess up anything in the file, it can be deleted. The game will create it again the next time you start it.
LOW FPS EVEN ON GOOD GPU / BETTER GRAPHICS CARD DETECTED
When you experience low FPS, even on powerful GPU, the game is probably running on an integrated GPU and not the high-end GPU. This issue is also known as performance glitches or lag. It is a common problem when having two GPUs in a computer.
Please read here for more info.
Or try the following solutions:
- Disable integrated GPU (best in BIOS)
- Or configure your Nvidia GPU: If you’re using a newer laptop that you know has an NVidia graphics card, try checking your preferred graphics settings.
- Open the “NVIDIA Control Panel” from your start menu.
- On the left hand side, under “Select a task…”, open the “3D Settings” tree, and select “Manage 3D Settings”.
- Now on the right-hand panel, click the “Program Settings” tab.
- Under “1. Select a program…”, click “Add”, navigate to your \Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers directory and select ” SpaceEngineers.exe”.
- Under “2. Select the preferred graphics…”, choose “High-performance NVIDIA processor”, then (VERY IMPORTANT) click “Apply” in the bottom right.
- Or configure your AMD GPU: If you have problems when the game is running on an Integrated GPU, try to switch to a dedicated Radeon GPU.
MULTIPLE GPUs – DISABLE SLI / CROSSFIRE
At this point, Medieval Engineers doesn’t support multiple GPUs. So if you start the game with them, you may encounter crashes, graphical artefacts or even problems running the game. You need to disable this function in order to make the game work properly.
HOW TO DISABLE:
- For Crossfire
- right-click on your desktop and select Catalyst Control Center. Click Graphics -> CrossfireX -> uncheck Enable Crossfire. Then click ok.
- For SLI
- right-click on your desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel. Expand 3D Settings tab -> click on Set SLI Configuration -> select Do Not Use SLI Technology. Apply changes.